The Princeton Varsity Club (PVC) is pleased to announce seven Princeton varsity student-athletes have been selected to travel to Vietnam this summer to participate in the Coach for College program, a global initiative aimed at promoting higher education through sports. As part of the Coach for College program, the student-athletes will teach academics, athletics and life skills to 6th, 7th and 8th grade Vietnamese students while working alongside Vietnamese coaches and instructors. This marks the fifth year the PVC has helped to sponsor international service opportunities for varsity student-athletes.
2017 Coach for College Participants:
- Cara Mattaliano ’17 — Women’s Volleyball (Glen Ellyn, IL)
- Stephen Rossettie ’17 — Men’s Track and Field (Corning, NY), Hậu Giang Province
- Molly Milligan ’20 — Women’s Crew (Sacramento, CA), Hậu Giang Province
- Ellen Scott-Young ’20 — Women’s Track & Field (Gold Coast, Australia)
- Carlotta von Gierke ’20 — Field Hockey (Potsdam, Brandenburg), Hậu Giang Province
- Devon Block-Funkhouser ’20 – Track & Field (Santa Barbara, CA), Hậu Giang Province
- Allison Harvey ’20 — Softball (Foothill Ranch, CA), Hậu Giang Province
If you would you like to support any of the above Princeton student-athletes, you can do so by clicking on their name and visiting their personal donation page.
Coach for College is a program open to varsity student-athletes, which aims to increase higher education attainment among disadvantaged Vietnamese adolescents using the excitement and life skills provided by participation in sports-related activities. The program provides American college athletes with an intensive and collaborative service experience that engenders the skills needed to exercise leadership and commitment to positive social change.
To explore the stories of past participants in Coach for College and their experiences teaching academics, athletics and life skills, please click the links below.